This model first had to be light proofed. Styrene plastic with light inside will only make the hull glow. So I first used flat black on the inside followed by flat white primer.
Next I put the engineering hull.
Next I had to install all the many clear windows that the kit included. Drill a bunch of channels to pass the wiring through and rough assemble the ship. The top of the saucer section removes for access to lights.
Additionally my good friend Wayne Frey sent me a PE kit for this build and I've so far placed the grids over the impulse engines.
Then it was time to take a trip to All electronics and purchase and install nearly 60 LEDs. This was the hardest part. Next I need to fix all the light leaks and then I can start painting the trim before I add all those Aztec decals the kit provides. They nearly cover the entire hull so you don't have to mask and paint the Aztec effect. These decals are amazing and save one lots of time.
Below are pictures and video of the model to date. I will post more as I go and some pictures of the insides with the miles of wiring!
Another light test. This time most of the saucer rim section is sealed. The engineering hull is sealed. I still have the nacelles and top and bottom of the saucer section to do yet. I turned off all the lights in the room to shoot this short video. This ship is bright!
And finally the finished model.This was one of the hardest builds in a plastic kit ever. But well worth it in th end.